Kildare Local History Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mangan Family Rathasker Killashee Naas

3 posters

Go down

Mangan Family Rathasker Killashee Naas Empty Mangan Family Rathasker Killashee Naas

Post  KPunshon Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:03 pm

I am researching my family history and my Grandmother and her family were from County Kildare. They are listed in the 1901 Irish Census as living at 8 Rathasker, Killashee, Naas, the family were called Mangan and on the census return they are shown as Christopher (her father and my great grandfather shown as working as a Farm Labourer), Mary (her mother,working as a Housekeeper), Josephine (my Grandmother aged 7), John aged 5, Christopher aged 3, Agnes aged 9 and Bridgit aged 11. I am from the North East of England and my Grandmothers Family emigrated to England and are show as living in Gateshead between 1914 - 1920's my Grandmother Josephine married my Grandfather in 1915. I am looking to find out if there is any information on them apart from the census record, what the area they lived in would have been like at that time and a little bit on the history of that area of Kildare. My Grandmother's Father, Christopher, and Mother, Mary, were married in Monasterevin in 1888 and were both from Waterestown, Mary is shown on the marriage details as being Mary Anne Tierney. Any help would be appreciated.

KPunshon

Back to top Go down

Mangan Family Rathasker Killashee Naas Empty Re: Mangan Family Rathasker Killashee Naas

Post  Liam Kenny Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:21 am

Dear K Punshon

Just to help with your quest to find out about life in the area -- if you can get your hands on a copy of the book 'Nas na Riogh - an illustrated history of Naas' by Behan, Hickey and Kenny it will give you a picture of Naas town in the early years of the 20th century.

Liam Kenny

Liam Kenny

Back to top Go down

Mangan Family Rathasker Killashee Naas Empty Mangan Family

Post  KPunshon Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:32 pm

Thanks for that info Liam, I will certainly try to get my hands on the book, I have looked on the web at pictures of Naas present day and it looks a really nice town and it will be great to see early pictures of the town. I would like to build a picture of what it would have looked like then and what it would have been like to live there for my Grandmother and her family.

Many Thanks
Kevin

KPunshon

Back to top Go down

Mangan Family Rathasker Killashee Naas Empty Mangan family

Post  Mr J. T. Arthur Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:13 pm

Kevin,

My great-grandfather James Cahill also came to the North East of England from Co Kildare along with two sisters who all married in Co Durham, however another sister Marcella Cahill married a George Butler at Crookstown, Co Kildare in 1864 his parents being Thomas Butler (farmer) and Bridget Mangan.

Best wishes,
Terence.

Mr J. T. Arthur

Back to top Go down

Mangan Family Rathasker Killashee Naas Empty Re: Mangan Family Rathasker Killashee Naas

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down